May 7, 2012

Chocolate "ice cream" Bars



Fact 1: I love summertime (not so much the phoenix heat, but the concept of summer..pool time, BBQ's, relaxation!)
Fact 2: I love anything cold in summer. Ice cream, frozen yogurt, smoothies, you get the idea..
As much as my mouth thinks it wants a huge scoop of homemade ice cream, tucked perfectly in a homemade waffle cone, my health choices say otherwise. Thank Goodness. 
It is really not that hard at all to create healthier choices when it comes to ice cream. I have made lots of ice cream using coconut milk and honey (I will do a post on it sometime soon), I make the boys popsicles using greek yogurt and fruit puree, or diluted fresh juice. But this recipe tastes indulgent, and indulgent is far from the actual reality of this popsicle. Good thing, since I easily polished them off in a week. It is simple really, and I don't know how I hadn't thought of anything like it before. I have made a chocolate mousse using pretty much the same ingredients, but never thought to freeze it. 


These are the ideal summer treat. Super fast to whip up, cheap to make, super delicious to eat. I LOVE THEM. Also I happen to be fresh out, so I think I will be making some this afternoon. 




Don't mind the small nub of a popsicle.. It broke coming out of the popsicle mold, and while I probably should have taken it out for pictures,  could not throw it out because they are that tasty. The base is made with bananas, and while you do taste the banana, I was pleased and surprised with the subtleness of it. You knew it was banana, but it did not taste like a banana popsicle. I was in a bit of a rush (as always) when photographing these, so not only is it a quick job, but I totally forgot I wanted to roll the dipped chocolate in toasted coconut and almonds before it hardened. Oops. Next time. 



I thought they stayed perfectly creamy, even after being in the freezer for a few days (I ate them too fast to see if they would taste freezer burnt or not). I want to also try to dip them in a coat of something that does not include processed sugar like these chocolate chips did. The inside mix is completely refined sugar free, but I did use chocolate chips (ones that are grain sweetened) for the outside coat. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make a tasty coat using coconut oil and something else, please leave me a comment!

Chocolate "ice cream" Bars
Makes 6-8 depending on the size of your mold
Original recipe found HERE

3 large bananas, sliced and frozen (i had to let mine thaw a bit before my cuisinart would blend it creamy
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons all natural almond or peanut butter (the kind that is just nuts, no sugar added)

11oz milk chocolate morsels (I used grain sweetened ones), or any other chocolate you like
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil

1. In a large food processor or blender, pulse bananas, cocoa powder, and almond butter until smooth. Spoon mixture into popsicle mold and insert wooden spoons. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.

2. In a bowl, microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil until melted. Let cool before you dip ice cream bars. Once mixture has cooled, pop out the bars and spoon melted chocolate all over the bars. Lay on waxed paper and freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Place ice cream bars in a sealed container, and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. How amazing! I can't wait for the bananas I got today to be ripe and make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea!!! WOW!
    lovely and look so delicious

    hugs
    Betty Bake

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are utterly fantastic! I think I'm going to make some for Jud and just tell him they're made of love ;)

    ReplyDelete